The day is set aside to point out the challenges facing girls all over the world ranging from violence to discrimination, inequality, sexual assault and the rest of them. The girl child occupies the largest section of the world's population.
Gone are the days when most 'fathers' refused to educate their female children, but now we have outstanding women who have written their names on the sand of time because they never sat down but stood up not only to be seen but heard. It is high time we all stood up also to protect and promote the girls cause they are our future wives and mothers.
The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside, but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race.” – Susan B. Anthony
Let's join hands and say NO to
- Girl-child discrimination/ Inequality
- Negative cultural practices against girls
- Violence against the girl-child
- Early/Child marriage
- Sexual assault
- Economic exploitation of child labour
- Girl-child education
- Promotion and protection of the rights of the girl-child
- Promotion of skill development and training of the girl-child
- Promotion of the girlchild's awareness of and participation in social, economic and political life
- Strengthening the role of the family in improving the status of the girl-child